Outdoor Movies & Film Licensing
Screening copyrighted movies at an open air cinema event usually requires a public performance license. If you are hosting your own family outdoor movie night, you won't need one. Obtaining a public performance license is a simple process. Open Air Cinema cannot purchase the license for you, but we can help make it easy for you to obtain it. Here's what you do:
- 1st step: Select your movie title for your event. We can help. Ask us which titles attract the biggest audiences.
- 2nd step: Is it available on DVD yet? If you're not sure, we can help!
- 3rd step: Contact us to schedule our outdoor cinema services for your specific date and movie title.
- 4th step: Talk with us about how to obtain your public performance license.
- 5th step: Contact us to find out which film licensing company will be the best for you to work with. There are several companies that offer liscencing, and we'll direct you to the appropriate one based on what type of film you'll be screening.
- 6th step: Typically these companies will simply bill your credit card for the license. They'll notify you of any restrictions and they'll send you a printed license for screening the title at one address on a specific date. Either they'll supply you with a DVD or you bring your own.
Restrictions from Studios
Generally, if it's available on DVD it can be presented. Some filmmakers, such as Disney and its subsidiaries, have partially restricted use of their movie titles in outdoor settings. Please contact us to learn more. Respecting copyrighted movies is fundamental for legitimately hosting outdoor cinema events. By respecting the copyright licensing laws, Open Air Cinema and its customers help support outdoor cinema entertainment for years to come.